Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Guess Who's Back?


Reviving my travel blog is an idea that has been stuck in my head for ages. I've dropped it the same way a child would drop a super cool arcade game for the next great distraction.

Blogs are hard work. There's a fine art behind it and when you are on the road dealing with the 'elements' - the constant battle for a solid internet connection, a fellow travelers' invite to grab a beer, or the will to be fully immersed in your current destination, absorbing each experience like a sponge because who knows when you'll return next. Quite frankly there's a lot to learn on these adventures - lessons of hilarity, lessons of inspiration and lessons that have resulted in a repeated number of face palms. Each mile clocked earns more than the bragging rights in my books. It's the personal growth, the simple connections found in the unexpected pockets of the earth. I cannot excuse my neglect on the road but I do know there are certain stories that are worth the effort to share. 

Before I know it, I'll be boarding the plane for my next backpacking adventure to Latin America.  All my nerves of fear and excitement are building up like a tropical superstorm, eager to unleash itself on whatever path may pull it forward. As I told my friends and family that my one-way plane ticket to Guatemala was officially booked, I was unsure whether to dread or embrace their reactions. 

There are those who are completely envious in a good way, they are excited about the adventure and wish they could go themselves. Four months of backpacking in a tropical paradise without a set itinerary is a dream come true. Then, there are those who think I'm crazy. Simply put, Latin America has a horrible reputation. Just take a look at the travel advisories for Guatemala posted by the Government of Canada and you'll probably agree with these people. 

The website states, "There is no nationwide advisory in affect for Guatemala. However, you should exercise a high degree of caution due to the violence, roadblocks, strikes and demolitions that occur periodically throughout the country." 

Exercising caution and a having a solid sense of the places I plan to visit is of course extremely important. But isn't this the attitude every traveler should have no matter where in the world they find themselves? Incidents are bound to happen anywhere at any time. Prepare for the worst case scenario, but don't be afraid to leave your hobbit-hole.

     Taken at the promotional booth for The Hobbit at Word on the Street in Toronto. 

I've picked the brains of a number of backpackers who have visited this part of the world, from solo female travelers just like me to 6'1" males who have traveled with a few mates. In the majority of their experiences the good has outweighed the bad. When bad situations did occur they usually blamed it on their own lack of common sense at the time. At home or on the road, when you’re busy living in the moment it’s easy to forget the basic ‘rules’ of survival. In one instance their best advice was not to beware of harmful locals but to beware of fellow travelers who feel they can escape the consequences of their actions in a foreign country.

The most valued opinion I've received is from Latin Americans currently living in Canada. The first bit of information I’m usually told, “We’re super friendly.” Second bit of advice, “Don’t depend on a good internet connection.” Great, the battle to travel blog begins again.  

Guess who's back?

... Ashley's back. Tell your friends :)

4 comments:

  1. Already loving the blog! I'm very excited for you, not to mention incredibly proud of you. Looking forward to some good reading over the next few months with your many, many updates that (we'll make sure) you post! ; )

    Take good care!
    Love & hugs,
    ~ Melinda ~
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will sure be following your adventures. Have fun!

    Serg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading about your adventures over the next few months. Keep the sunscreen handy.

    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excited about the revival of your blog! you're such a good writer ash! keep us updated about all of your adventures! hope you're having fun so far!!!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete